Thursday, December 10, 2009

What makes up ';eye crust'; and how does it get there?

I've never known this because I never cared, but now that it's a problem I want to know. A while ago I got a cut very near my eye and it took forever to heal because being near my eye, it moved a lot and thus the blood did not get a chance to scab over. It finally healed, but in the past few days that same eye has been making large amounts of eye crust (I don't know the scientific name for it), especially in the morning. It's heavy and makes it a tad difficult to open that eye, and even after I shower or clear my eye in some way it continues to form and sometimes gets in my eye where it ';melts'; and becomes an irritant, making tasks like reading, watching TV or playing video games, and driving, more difficult than they should be. I want to know what exactly this stuff is and how I can stop it (or get it down to normal amounts). I don't want it to be a problem because I'm trying for my driver's license soon.What makes up ';eye crust'; and how does it get there?
Eye crust is actually called Rheum and is a natural mucus discharge from the eyes. However from what you're describing it sounds like you have something called Mucopurulent discharge. This is caused by mucus, pus and dirt, which may have originated from the cut you received. The best advice I can give you is to make an appointment to see your eye doctor who should be able to give you some drops.What makes up ';eye crust'; and how does it get there?
dried eye moisture
Rheum ~From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rheum


Rheum is a medical term for the natural mucus discharge from the eyes, commonly known as sleep (most common), matter, sleepers, sleepies, sleepy men, sleepy seeds, sleep sand, eye boogers, eye gunk, eye crusties, crusty pups, eye goopy, gound, fairy dust or legaċ¸½a. The discharge forms a crust on the eyelids, or gathers in the corner of the eye during sleep (contrast to mucopurulent discharge). It is formed by a combination of mucus consisting of mucin discharged from the cornea or conjunctiva, tears, blood cells, skin cells from the eyelids, and dust.





Normally, blinking causes this substance to be washed away with tears. The absence of this function during sleep, however, results in a small amount of dry rheum forming in the corners of the eyes even among healthy individuals, especially children. Still, the formation of a large amount of crust or the presence of pus within it may indicate dry eye or other more serious eye infections including conjunctivitis and corneitis.





Adults and older children can easily remove the crust by washing the eye with water or simply brushing it away with clean fingers. In young children, however, the buildup of rheum can be so severe, that opening one's eye upon awakening can be difficult or impossible without washing the eye. Very young children or people under care may need to have this done by another individual.








ME!





.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
pigment